Friday, October 2, 2015

The F Word


(Buckle up kids, this is gonna be a long one)


       Feminism is defined as the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men. Despite it gaining more attention in the media recently, largely due to international icons such as Nicki Minaj, Beyoncé, and Miley Cyrus publicly identifying as feminists, it still remains a movement associated with aggressive, man-hating women. I am here today to tell you that is not the case. I do not hate men. In fact, I like men. I think they’re cute and enjoy kissing them from time to time. However, I do hate the notion that men are more powerful than women. I hate the idea that men are better suited for roles of leadership. I hate that women in other countries are having acid thrown at their faces, and are being shot for standing up for women’s rights to education, and yet there are people who STILL think feminism is a joke. I hate that I am considered an “annoying feminist” for sticking up for the rights of myself and everyone else who identifies as a woman.

Ameneh Bahrami
     People think I’m crazy when I say I can’t see myself ever dating a man who doesn’t identify as a feminist (or at least agree with feminist ideals), but how is that an odd thing? I don’t see a problem with wanting a partner who respects me as his equal, who doesn’t objectify me or underestimate my strength. And if any men out there are reading this, first off, you rock. Second, you are allowed to identify as a feminist! Being a feminist doesn’t make you feminine (not that that would be a bad thing bc duh) and it also doesn’t make you any less of a man! Respecting women is pretty cool in my book, and I think a lot of other ladies would agree.

 I went ahead and asked some fellow Spartans why they feel they need feminism and these are their responses:



“To know that we have a place in the world”
– Anna, 19

“Because I have friends who are female and they deserve the same rights as I get by being male.”
 –Ryan, 18

“Because we live in a rape culture, because there hasn’t been a woman president, because covert sexism trickled into every facet of life. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, because the word ‘feminism’, a word that means a movement for EQUALITY has worse societal connotations than any swear word I could ever say. Because I’m labeled an angry prissy bitch for wanting an equal place in society. And also I need intersectional feminism. If we don’t address it for everyone, then it’s not worth having the rights.”
 –Audrey, 19

“Because people expect me to be emotionless and are surprised when I am vulnerable and do things that are uncharacteristic of men.”
-Justin, 18

“Because I still feel that my intelligence is seen as inferior to men’s intelligence. Because I don’t think its fair that since age 12 I have constantly had to worry about being taken advantage of. I’ve even been harassed in large crowds and in broad daylight. I work just as hard as any man and yet I make less! Fuck that. I believe that women of all races, ages, and classes have been shortchanged by society and feminism is our voice and our way.”
-Eloise, 18 

 
Why do YOU need feminism? Let me know by leaving a comment or tweeting me at @allieetzin using the hashtag #WhyINeedFeminism

No comments:

Post a Comment