Sunday, November 22, 2015

Being a Young Woman With Strong Views



            “Your professors must be feeding you the wrong information”. “You must have learned these things from your parents”. “You’re way too opinionated for being so young”. Being an almost-18-year-old woman, these are phrases I have constantly heard throughout my teenage years. Whether it is for my views on marriage equality, immigration, or health care, those older than me are constantly scrutinizing my views, and telling me I’m too young to hold such opinions. This has never made sense for me. Isn’t it a good thing I am taking interest in issues such as these at a young age? After all, everyone does say that children are our future. 
  
            The interesting part is I am not even a child anymore! In less than a month I will be 18 years old. This means I will have the power to affect the outcome of our next presidential election! Doesn’t a decision such as this require being strong in one’s convictions? I cannot even share an interesting political article on Facebook without family commenting on it at the next family get-together, claiming MSU must be pushing their “liberal agenda” on their students. I, however, do not believe this is the case. I have been opinionated for as long as I can remember. And no, my parents did not pass down this trait to me. My parents have always been very neutral when discussing political ordeals with my brother and me. They never told us that they identify as democrat or republican until I was old enough to be able to ask for myself. I have very different views from my family on some issues, and some similar opinions. I take pride in being able to think for myself, and I consider this a very valuable trait for a college student to possess.

  
            I pride myself on being a loud, opinionated, liberal feminist. These traits are part of me and they are nothing to be ashamed of. Being loud helps me get my point across. Otherwise, who will listen to the 5’0 college freshman? Being opinionated shows I am able to think on my own. It shows I am passionate about what I believe in and I stick to my guns when challenged. Being a liberal is simply a label for the views that I already have. I did not develop these views with the goal of being labeled a liberal, but that being said, it is not a label I am ashamed of. And being a feminist is synonymous with having common sense. I believe it is a must for the political, social, and economic equality of the sexes to become a reality, and I do not see anything wrong with that. 
   
Yes I am opinionated. But I am also passionate, strong, tolerant and informed. And I see nothing wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment