Sunday, January 24, 2016

Spring Break Body Bullshit


 
January to March may be my least favorite part of the year. Freezing temperatures aside, the first few months of the year are almost always dedicated to getting a ‘Spring Break Bod’. We see it everywhere; commercials for Weight Watchers, YouTube videos, magazines. “Achieve your spring break body!” “Get bikini ready!” “Stick to your New Year’s Resolutions!” It’s almost as if these three months are devoted to making women hate their bodies more than they already do.  Gyms get busier, Weight Watchers meetings become more crowded, and diet pill companies thrive. Liquid diets, juice cleanses, and calorie counting becomes more popular all because of a society that teaches us we need to look a certain way in order to earn a spot at the beach.


I want to cry for men and women who lack self-love and self-appreciation because they grow up hearing nothing but these toxic messages. Individuals don’t flourish off of self-hate, starvation and diet fads, but instead from self-care, patience, and positivity. I’ll be the first to admit, I don’t have what most consider a ‘bikini body’. But why should that stop me from being comfortable and confident at the beach?  I love my body. It does pretty awesome things. Yeah my thighs are huge and my stomach isn’t flat but boo fucking hoo is that really the end of the world? I have way more important shit to do than worry about my jean size or if I’ll look good in a bikini.   



I challenge you all to go to your clothing store of choice and buy a bikini. Or a tankini or swim-trunks idgaf I’m not here to tell you how to live your life. Target is the shit for swimwear in case you didn’t know. Buy a swimsuit that you love; one that you will feel hot as hell in and then rock that shit the next time you go to the beach (which will be no time soon in Michigan bc it’s freezing as FUCK). My point is, do whatever the hell makes you happy and screw everything else.



No comments:

Post a Comment