Sunday, January 10, 2016

Girl Love


            There are very few things I hate more than when girls are mean to each other. As women in a patriarchal society, we already have the short end of the stick. Because of this, WE HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER! I used to be one of those girls who prided herself in hating girls. I always used to talk about how annoying girls are and how I prefer to have guy friends because it’s “less drama” (clearly I never read a history book). I cringe just thinking about that time in my life. As Caity Mae so brilliantly stated in her article, 'We Need To Stop All This Girl-On-Girl Hate’, “There are too many rapists and serial killers and creepy ex-boyfriends out there for us to treat each other this way!”.
        

 Women, whether trans or cisgender, are beautiful, wonderful creatures who don’t get enough credit for how beautiful and wonderful they are. From middle school on, women are taught to display internalized misogyny by using phrases like the ones I used to use. I want to cry whenever I hear a girl refer to another girl as a slut, whore, bitch etc. By saying these things about other women, we are letting the misogynists win! They want us to hate each other. When we slut shame each other, men are able to easily justify the derogatory comments they make toward us.
 

It doesn’t matter if a woman wears more makeup than you, fewer clothes than you, or has more sexual partners than you; LET THEM LIVE THEIR LIFE! It’s very easy to bring out the worst in each-other, but it’s much more productive to treat each-other with love and kindness. Build other women up, don’t tear themdown. I challenge you to compliment at least one girl you see today. I don’t care if it is about her outfit or her shining personality, everyone loves a good compliment. Let’s work together to end girl-on-girl hate in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment